Eligibility and Enrollment
Who is eligible?
BCBS FEP Vision is available to federal and U.S. Postal Service (USPS) employees, retirees and dependents who are FEHB eligible.
- You do not need to be enrolled in FEHB.
- Annuitants receiving an immediate annuity are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage.
- Dependent children are covered until age 22.
BCBS FEP Vision is available to retired uniformed service members, their families and the family members of active-duty service members.
- You must be enrolled in a TRICARE Health Plan to be eligible for vision coverage.
- Dependent children are covered until age 21 (non-students) or 23 (full-time students).
- Unmarried surviving spouses and eligible children/dependents of retired and active duty uniformed service members can enroll.
When to enroll
If you need to update your coverage, you can enroll in a new plan during Open Season. This is typically the second Monday of November through the second Monday of December each year.
You might be able to change your FEDVIP plan outside of Open Season if you have a qualifying life event. These include getting married, having a baby, losing existing health coverage or losing a family member.
Uniformed service members retiring or recently retired from service are eligible to enroll in FEDVIP vision coverage if enrolled in a TRICARE health plan. You may enroll between 31 days before your military retirement date and 60 days after or wait until Open Season.
Enroll with BENEFEDS
BENEFEDS is the government-authorized and OPM-sponsored enrollment portal that eligible participants use to enroll in and manage their FEDVIP coverage. BENEFEDS also manages the billing systems and customer service functions necessary for the collection of FEDVIP premiums.
- Go online to BENEFEDS.com or call 1 (877) 888-3337
- Verify your eligibility
- Fill out some info about your employment
- Create your BENEFEDS account (if enrolling online)
- Select Blue Cross Blue Shield FEP Vision